Thursday 15 January 2009

this is a lockdown

In our school/county we have a procedure in case there is a threat to the children like a predator. They have been in existence there since 9/11. We have to practice it just like a fire drill. If you hear this is a lock down (x3) over the speaker and you are in your classroom you lock your door, cut the lights put your blind over the window and all sit in a corner out of sight.

We get assessed on how well we do it. We were expecting one yesterday as the audit team were in to check we knew what to do. They interviewed me about the procedure. The actual lockdown drill never happened though - that will come another day soon.

Today we had a real, genuine lockdown. We had just dismissed our children at the buses and cars and I was in the classroom of a colleague. It came over the speaker 'This is a lockdown, this is a lockdown, this is a lockdown.'

My first thought was what a time to do a drill with the kids half on the buses. Then it came across the speaker ' people outside this IS a lockdown. Ok. It's real!

Im so glad I got locked in with my collegue and very good friend. If I had been in my own classroom, alone, it would have been a lot worse.

The threat was a gun man in the area had fired shots and killed a man. We found this out online. I guess in case the chase headed that way we had to be safe and secure. One other school got locked down also. It is just a precaution it was not a direct threat but better safe than sorry.

So we were locked down for an hour. Im glad I had my friend to talk to (quietly)! I kept thinking of how it would have gone down outside - 2 buses i think had left and the rest (6 or so) had not.

I was thinking about which of my children might be panicking. Afterwards they seemed to be fine and coped very well.

I was not in fear of my life but it was a little nerve wracking! And a little excting. Im glad these procedure are in place.

7 comments:

Kat said...

Katie, what a scary experience!! It's all getting done as a drill everywhere in your life (fire drills etc.), but to really HAVE that ... phew! Glad everything is ok!

Oh... and I figured out why I couldn't leave a comment last time ... your "Comments" link doesn't show on your blogger template unless you highlight it (funny colour scheme maybe?). Found it now!! :D

Shirley said...

Wow that was scary!!!

Jo Power said...

Wow that was a scarey hour. Glad tthe children were all ok.

Julie said...

Wow glad you were with your friend. What an experience and so glad the proceedure is in place you never know what is round the corner.

Sarah said...

Oh wow - What an experience to go through - but thank god you were all ok.
Hope you are settling down ok now - it's a big change moving from UK - but one you will never regret - we loved living in the US, Miss it everyday.

Have fun

Sarah

jay670120 said...

oooh scary , we have nothing like this in the UK , glad you and kids were ok ,we hear about things like this on news alot , it all could of been much worse x

Jazzy1972 said...

How insane, I can't even imagine that being an expected part of life to do a routine drill of that, let alone an actual real alert! Yikes!!