Wednesday 11 November 2009

Windy City


We decided yesterday that we will spend Christmas in Chicago this year and I am VERY excited.
At first I was tempted to go for a second year in NYC, but we both felt it would be better to spend the money visiting somewhere different. I have always wanted to visit Chicago. I first applied for a job there before applying for the program I am on now.

So when Daniel went to work I started researching. I wanted to know what was going on there at Christmas. The more I read, the more I got excited. There are ice rinks, a traditional German market (close to our hearts ever since we visited Cologne in Germany near to Christmas), a Winterfest at the Navy Pier on Lake Michigan. Also I would love to visit the Sears Tower (as seen in the movie Ferris Buellers Day Off).

As I was browsing, I found what I thought looked like a great deal on a hotel - Hard Rock Hotel Chicago - $111 a night! (about 70 pounds). We checked out the reviews and went ahead and booked it with the money we have been saving. We came here with travel in mind and I want to see out those plans as we will be going home in the summer of 2010.

We were reading up about the hotel and I clicked on a link under services and amenities called Check In Rock Out. I figured it was about checking in and out and they were just keeping it in the vain of the hotel theme. Turns out you can (free of charge) take guitars of the highest quality to your room to play...the rooms are sound proof! Daniel is so looking forward to that! I am just hoping to get some sleep haha!

Not a lot to report in the daily life side of things. Today is Veteran's Day (remembrance day)and we get a day off for that, for which I am grateful. I am grateful to the military near and far for what they do.

I am going to do Operation Christmas Child - even just one shoebox. You fill it with toys, candy and toothpaste etc for a child in a country that is in poverty. I have so much in my life, I feel this is something close to my heart. I encourage you to check in out.

I will leave you with the Chicago skyline....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fantastic plans, I am very jealous! Being able to take guitars to your room sounds fab too, you'll have to learn to play!!